When is the time to replace furniture
Home Improvement Guide - April 4, 2020
Packing up your entire household and changing your address is equivalent to opening a new chapter in life. Now you have a chance to start afresh and change everything you didn’t like before. From your job and your reputation to your living surroundings and your home décor. You can leave whatever things you want from your past behind and create a happier new world for yourself. Which begs the question – is it also time to replace furniture? Your local movers Fort Worth answer this question, so stay with us. Prepare a cup of tea and read on.
Is it better to move stuff or buy new?
What about the furniture you did like though? The things you don’t want to leave behind such as your close friends, your favorite places in town, your cherished possessions… you don’t have to. There are ways to stay connected. But will it be worth it or is it time to replace your old furniture? Is it better to haul stuff with the help of our residential movers Fort Worth TX, or buy everything new? We’ll be answering these questions especially when it comes to heavy and difficult to move items, such as furniture pieces.
As with many aspects of moving, there is no definite answer to the right time to replace furniture
Whether or it is time to replace furniture will be a personal decision and depends on a number of interconnected factors. Even if you want a brand new life, it may turn out that it will be too expensive for you. Also selling everything and buying new stuff after the move can be too time- and effort-consuming. On the other hand, even if you want to keep your old furniture, it may not fit into your new home. Or it may be too costly to relocate, etc.
So, in order for you to know you’ve made the right decision, you need to carefully weigh the pros and cons of moving each individual item. There are several important factors to take into consideration when wondering – is it time to replace furniture?
Your old furniture’s practical value
If you have stylish and cozy furniture that suits your practical needs and your pleases your aesthetic, you should certainly keep it and take it to your new place. If your old couch is broken and worn-out, however, then it is probably time to replace furniture. So, to make your final decision whether or not it is time to replace furniture, you need to find the answers to the following crucial questions:
Is your old furniture functional and comfortable?
- Does it have a higher quality and durable?
- Is it in good overall condition? There is no point in hauling an old item only to replace it for a new one a couple of years or months later. Let’s say you’re downsizing after moving. If a furniture piece is on its last legs, then relocating it certainly won’t be worth the money and the effort you put in the process. No matter how practical and useful it might be.
- Will, it fit your new home’s layout? It is very important to measure the doors and the available space in your new home. As well as the size of your furniture. This will make sure that a certain piece will fit through the doors and into the room where it is supposed to be. If it doesn’t fit in, you should not take it along, regardless of how much you like it.
Is it time to replace furniture: consider it’s sentimental value
The sentimental value of your decorative or comfy pieces can be the primary factor in your decision whether to relocate it or not. You also do not want to part with a treasured family heirloom. The same goes for an item associated with an important moment in your life. Then it doesn’t matter how difficult or expensive it may be to relocate the piece.
When making your decision about the correct time to replace furniture, you need to consider if:
- An old furniture piece is a family heirloom, passed down from one generation to the next for several decades or, maybe, even several centuries;
- It triggers fond memories from the past or reminds you of someone or something special;
- It’s a favorite of yours (or of another member of your family);
- Is it a stylish, beautiful item you want to hold onto?
Does your old furniture’s have high monetary value?
While moving furniture is expensive, buying new furniture is even more costly. Get a moving estimate and don’t worry about additional costs! Especially when it comes to high-quality pieces. Therefore, should keep the financial worth of your old pieces in mind when considering your options:
Is your furniture piece expensive?
- Do you own an antique, a vintage item, or a collector’s item?
- Does it happen to be an exquisite piece of art?
- Does it consist of quality materials and was it crafted with skill and care?
- Was it made by a famous manufacturer?
- If in doubt, you may have an evaluation for your old furniture by a professional in order to get an accurate idea of its actual worth.
The cost of moving your furniture
- Make sure to get a few moving estimates to determine exactly how much it would cost you to relocate your items;
- Go online to find some furniture store pamphlets to get an idea of the cost of new furniture items;
- You need to figure in the delivery fee when calculating the cost of replacing your furniture.
The more difficult to move a piece is, the more expensive it will be to relocate
- A delicate or oddly-shaped item will require careful handling, higher quality packing materials and, often custom packing services such as crating. All these things will incur extra costs.
- A furniture piece that doesn’t fit through the door may have to go through a window with the help of specialized rigging and hoisting equipment.
- Any special items (like an antique, a grandfather clock, a piano, a pool table, etc.) will require the services of specialized movers.
- All in all, the longer it takes to prepare a furniture item for shipment, the more specialized services its relocation requires. And the more moving supplies are necessary for ensuring its safety, the higher the moving cost will be.