6 tips for finding professional movers
Hiring Moving Experts - May 20, 2020
There are many different, yet equally important factors that you have to take into account when you’re preparing for a relocation. In addition to gathering and purchasing supplies, as well as figuring out logistics, you’re also likely going to be looking into moving companies Fort Worth. Hiring professional movers is a great way to simplify the entire moving process. While it definitely changes the price tag, moving is a tiring challenge, so passing off the responsibility is a big relief. If you dedicate time to finding professional movers, they won’t just take the heavy lifting off your hands, they’ll also make the whole process run smoother. Plus they’ll free up your time for other important moving day activities. So here are the 6 things you should always consider when you’re looking for a moving company.
1. Get recommendations from people you trust
If you happen to be one of those people who often have an aversion to asking friends for help with packing, this article is definitely for you. Relying on residential movers to get your things securely packed, transported, and reassembled is just common sense. Most people never regret it. That is if they do thorough research before hiring anyone. While you could have gotten away with paying in pizza and beer if you’d just asked some friends or family members for moving assistance, the money you set aside for finding professional movers is always well spent.
- Google may not be the most reliable place to start your search, but your friends and loved ones can definitely do. You probably know a lot of people who have hired moving companies in your area, so don’t be shy to reach out to them. Feel free to ask about their experiences and who they would recommend.
- It often happens that someone you know had a bad experience with a highly-rated company. Or maybe someone was surprised with a bunch of unexpected fees that weren’t anywhere on the company’s website. Make sure to request several moving quotes Fort Worth.
- Along the same lines, perhaps someone had a terrific experience with a relatively new company that doesn’t have a strong web presence. If you start with friends and family, you can get some important insight that you wouldn’t otherwise find online.
2. Reading the reviews is the best way for finding professional movers
Once you’ve got the names of a few companies to contact, use online reviews to learn more about them. You can easily read moving reviews on the Moving.com website to find out about other people’s experiences. This website can even clue you in on some important steps for finding reliable movers you wouldn’t have known about otherwise.
- Usually, having experience in the moving industry for at least a few years is often a good sign. By relying on the information you find online, you should be able to get the general idea of their record.
- You are looking for traits like being on time, keeping rates fair, and maintaining the condition of possessions. Unless you have some really outstanding recommendations about a new moving company, go for the ones that have proven their competency on the market over time.
3. License and insurance
- Never use a moving company without an up-to-date license and insurance. Remember, any group of people can purchase a truck and call themselves “professional movers“. However, only those who own official licenses and have proper insurance are legally bound to protect your property.
- When finding professional interstate moves, you should know that movers have to register with the U.S. Department of Transportation. That is when they can have a unique USDOT number. You can make sure a company has a valid DOT number, as well as adequate insurance, by searching this database. It is provided by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- On the other hand, regulations for intrastate movers are on a state-by-state basis. But most states do have licensing requirements just like most of the US.
4. Finding professional movers with transparent rates
When you have finally found your trustworthy professional movers and are ready to book service, they’ll give you a rate based on the number of hours and number of movers you’ll likely need from them. However, keep in mind that this is a base rate, which means it doesn’t include additional services. For example, you may need packing materials or other incidental add-ons. Make sure to ask about what is considered an extra fee. In case the company isn’t forthcoming with the information, move on to somebody else.
5. A good fit for your individual needs
Every relocation is different. You want to make sure that the moving company you hire can accommodate all of your things. Some things to consider are:
- Does the company own a moving truck that is the right size to both fit all of your boxes and furniture?
- Can the company provide additional packing supplies such as moving blankets, bubble wrap, garment boxes, etc?
- Is the company is available in a time window that meets your needs?
6. Beware of rogue movers
Millions of people relocate every year, and while only a small percentage encounters fraudulent movers, it’s not unheard of. To verify a moving company is legitimate, check for an active license, and check if they have a valid physical address. You need to verify that they don’t only have a P.O. box. Be wary of any company that asks for a deposit, in particular, if they’re asking for more than 20 percent. Always do your research no matter who you’re hiring, ask around, and don’t hesitate to look elsewhere if a mover raises any red flags. Or call us, because we are a company with a proven history of safety, reliability, and high quality of service. The more effort you put into finding professional movers, the less work you’ll have to put into dealing with potential obstacles.